Terms & Conditions
Before work can commence, you need to state that you have read, understood and accept these first.
- Timing: You will need to agree a time by which you would like to have your painting. Please bear in mind this could take several weeks at busy times, so it is advisable not to delay placing your order.
- Deposit: As these are bespoke items – made specifically for you – there is a deposit required payable at the time of booking which is non-returnable. This is to safeguard against a customer having a change of mind when the portrait was already being worked on. You are also booking a place in my schedule and other work may have been organised around yours. However to reassure you, my customers have always been extremely pleased with the results and overjoyed when seeing their portrait.
- 100% satisfaction: In the unlikely event you are not happy with the result after seeing the scan, no further payment would be requested. However, I want you to to be completely satisfied so a minor change or two can usually be accommodated without cost, but this is at my discretion.
- Balance payment: The balance is payable on approval of the scanned image. The artwork remains my property until this payment has cleared in full.
- Payment options: Payment can be made securely by debit/credit card through Pay Pal on this website (without setting up an account) or by cheque payable to ‘S. Bretel’ sent to the contact address. Cash payment is acceptable if made in person but please do not send by post.
- Postage & packing: This is free for the A5 graphite pencil drawings, for watercolours this is added to your balance invoice.
- Painting style: Portraits are supplied signed by myself along with your animal’s name. The background will be left unpainted unless requested otherwise, in which case there may be an additional cost. Please enquire when booking.
- Reference copy: I keep a digital scan of each finished artwork for reference, and this may also be used for promotion and publicity purposes but an image is never printed for sale. None of your own personal details would be associated with this image. However, please let me know at the time of booking if you would prefer me not to use the image in any publicity.
- Your photos: Photos sent by email are preferred, but if sending by post let me know if you wish them returned. I advise you not to send your only copies as although they will be looked after, I cannot guarantee the safety of your property or be held liable in any way.
In keeping with the law, I retain the copyright and reproduction rights of all work even after payment, although an image of your animal is never printed for sale but may be used for promotion. If you wish to use a copy of the image yourself, I would not normally have a problem with this because the animal is so personal to you, but out of courtesy I would expect you to let me know how you intend to use it. Don’t forget, you also have the option of a free optimised scan – see Options & Pricing.
Privacy statement & your contact details
In accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018, you need to know that your contact details are only used in relation to your transaction, and only kept on a secure computer by myself and securely by Pay Pal on their system, and never disclosed to anyone else. Your details can be deleted at any time by contacting me directly. Unless you have opted into being updated about my exhibitions and promotions, you will not be contacted again, although I may follow up with you after sending the painting, just to ask what the recipient thought of it.